walk a-musing

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Here goes!

It was soon after the Indian Ocean tsunami. I then lived in Singapore. The contributions made to tsunami relief funds did not bring much relief to the mind. I was looking everywhere on the net to see if there were any first hand reports on relief work in India. It was then that I stumbled on a 'live' discussion amongst a group of people, who informed each other about what kind of help was needed, which voluntary agency worked in which region, what kind of relief material was being collected where, and so on. I felt I was trespassing on somebody's private conversation. Everyone addressed each other in familiar first names. I was sure it was some private group, and assumed that they had made their discussion available on the net so others could also benefit from the information exchanged. The heading on top of the page said it was a 'blog'. It was the first time I had heard the term.

On my trip home, my better informed niece educated me about blogging. She suggested that I start a blog, I could write about my travels. I said I already spent too much time on the internet. I should be doing other things. She shrugged and left me alone. But the look on her face clearly said, "What other things?"

I have now moved to the UK. Further away from home. But thanks to emails and yahoo chat, I have always been upto date on everything that happened near home. Till recently, that is. A few months ago, another niece started her own blog. She, who used to mail regularly, almost stopped mailing me and I saw her having roaring conversations with various Ashoks, Arathis and Anons! I once mailed her commenting on her blog and she asked me why I didnt put it on the blog itself! I felt like a perfect fool. Soon my brother got a blog, a nephew got himself a blog and I got a bit panicky. I was being left out! I had been forgotten!! So, blogging is the new mode of keeping in touch with people! No SMSs, no emails. In the good old days, I checked my mail every morning, to see if anyone had anything to say to me. Now, after checking my mail, to find the inbox full of articles and magazines I have subscribed to, (thankfully, they have not stopped sending the articles and asked me to visit their websites instead!) I visit half a dozen blogs, to see if there are any new entries. And if one of them hasn't been updated for a few days, I wonder, "why hasn't S been going to the office the last few days? She must be very busy...." or "why hasn't A written anything?...I better call and find out if all is ok...."

I could make phone calls ofcourse, but I would go bankrupt considering how much I wanted to share. If I wanted to be in touch with all these loved ones, I should comment on their blogs. Now, what if I want to initiate a conversation? I cant possibly leave a comment on their blog about some subject they havnt written about! Ohho...! There is only one thing to do. I HAVE to start my own Blog! And keep my fingers crossed that they will leave their comments there. Also, the next time I am introduced to someone, if we hit it off well, I maybe able to say, "Let us keep in touch, here is the name of my blog!"

So here goes! This doesn't mean non-nieces and non-nephews are not welcome to read what I write. Ofcourse, anyone passing by is welcome to read and comment. It would be lovely if I can make a few extra friends along the way. I do intend to update it regularly, but you see, I am neither a student nor a software engineer....I am a stay at home mum! So I may get very busy at times and not have the time to write!. And if I have to have a real private conversation with my nieces and nephews, there is always the phone.......

17 Comments:

  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger Shruthi said…

    Yes! Welcome! :) And happy blogging!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Global Indian said…

    Welcome to the Blogosphere!!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    Thankyou! Thankyou!

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice style of writing Anu. Welcome to the Blog world.. Got this link from Shruthi's.. Expect more.. All the best.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am neither a student nor a software engineer....I am a stay at home mum! So I may get very busy at times and not have the time to write!

    You mean either a student or s/w engg have all the time in the world or SAHM will not have anything interesting?!!

    Welcome :) am sure blogworld needs more 'aunt' view of things ;)

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Ajith, Thankyou very much!

    Anonymous, That was a dig at the nephew and niece mentioned in the blog!
    Thanks!

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger reghu nath thooran said…

    welcome welcome.......aapka blogging ke duniya mein swagat hai...

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Reghu, Bahut bahut shukriya!

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger reghu nath thooran said…

    dhanyabad bahen...
    kabhi hamre blog mein bhi tashriif laaiye....

    thats all the hindi i learnt from watching hindi movies....:)

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Reghu, Sure! I too exhausted my entire repertoire of Hindi words in my previous reply!

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Anu,


    Good one will also try to get on the blog thing...sure seems to be catching up.Sure a good way of putting your thought ideas and you are great at that.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to Blogosphere! It would be a pleasure to read about your experiences.

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now I have to watch TWO blogs ;-)

     
  • At 2:20 AM, Blogger Nirwa Mehta said…

    Got your link from Shruthi's blog!!

    Welcome to blogosphere!! :)

    Nirwa

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Sophie, Thankyou, and thanks for the mail!

    Emma,Nirwa, Thanks!

    Sandesh, :)))))))

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Shuba said…

    Hey Anu,
    you have me seriously worried now. Am I to set up a blog too? mmm..for now i will keep on at emails ( more personal) and phone calls ( I can hear your voice)

    really like your title too.

    meet you ob blogosphere soon

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    Shubha, Lets just say, we have one MORE mode of communication now! Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home