walk a-musing

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gardening. Part1: Way back

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I love my plants and the garden! I owe it entirely to mom.

Picture this. A quiet sleepy afternoon during the school summer vacation. All my friends have gone away to visit their grandparents and I am the only kid in the neighbourhood. I drag myself to my mother, slouch against the kitchen door, put on a long face and complain that I am utterly bored. My mother, busy preparing snacks for afternoon tea, dismisses me straightaway saying that with so many books in the house I should never ever complain of boredom.
Result: I become a book lover and an avid reader.
Thanks mom.

After hours of reading I want some change. I again go to her, put on a longer face and complain again. She has some time for me now and says, "Okay, come sit next to me."
I sit down eagerly. Will she tell me an interesting story? Or play some game perhaps?
"What is 7 times 9?" Oh no.
"12 times 6?"
"Recite the 13 tables" . It goes on.
And then the horror of horrors, "Have you learnt the 17 tables? Let me hear it".
But after a while she has to get back to her work and happens to say, "Why don't you go weed the garden".

I never complain of boredom again. Whenever I want a break from books I quietly pick up the tools and walk to the garden. When there are no more weeds to remove, I think up other projects in the garden. Anything to avoid more mathematical tables. I plant, I water and take pleasure in watching the plants grow.
Result: A gardener is born.
Thanks again mom.

I love maths too, but perhaps not thanks to mom. Reciting tables is not my idea of a fun summer holiday.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger Shruthi said…

    Ha ha :D I can imagine the whole thing so well :D :D Little you in long plaits and a pretty skirt :D

    Part 2 quick quick!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger rajk said…

    I could really visualise the whole thing! Very well done!

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, good to see you back. I hope to read more posts on your blog soon.

    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger rajk said…

    ok...I think it's high time we got the 2nd part!!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    Shru, rajk, there will be part 2, 3 and 4 and more, but before that there will be other matters. :)

    guns, thanks for the welcome!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Anu,

    Even though I know you personally, Its sometimes nicer to know someone through their minds.It was very well written,I could visualise a small girl in you and your childhood impressions.General stories from everyday walk of life what we all go through , when put into words , can get that faint smile onto our faces!!Keep writing (Exercising..:)..or should i Say exercising with words, Thoughts and feelings till you SHAPE up your stories!!:)..We await them!!

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Ah Namrata.. A pleasure meeting you in cyberspace!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger rajeev said…

    hmm. So maybe 'tables' is the way to get my son interested in some music /gardening :)

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    rajeev, There is an inherent risk there you know! Do try but please dont tell him you got the idea from me!:))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home