walk a-musing

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gardening. Part1: Way back

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I love my plants and the garden! I owe it entirely to mom.

Picture this. A quiet sleepy afternoon during the school summer vacation. All my friends have gone away to visit their grandparents and I am the only kid in the neighbourhood. I drag myself to my mother, slouch against the kitchen door, put on a long face and complain that I am utterly bored. My mother, busy preparing snacks for afternoon tea, dismisses me straightaway saying that with so many books in the house I should never ever complain of boredom.
Result: I become a book lover and an avid reader.
Thanks mom.

After hours of reading I want some change. I again go to her, put on a longer face and complain again. She has some time for me now and says, "Okay, come sit next to me."
I sit down eagerly. Will she tell me an interesting story? Or play some game perhaps?
"What is 7 times 9?" Oh no.
"12 times 6?"
"Recite the 13 tables" . It goes on.
And then the horror of horrors, "Have you learnt the 17 tables? Let me hear it".
But after a while she has to get back to her work and happens to say, "Why don't you go weed the garden".

I never complain of boredom again. Whenever I want a break from books I quietly pick up the tools and walk to the garden. When there are no more weeds to remove, I think up other projects in the garden. Anything to avoid more mathematical tables. I plant, I water and take pleasure in watching the plants grow.
Result: A gardener is born.
Thanks again mom.

I love maths too, but perhaps not thanks to mom. Reciting tables is not my idea of a fun summer holiday.

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger Shruthi said…

    Ha ha :D I can imagine the whole thing so well :D :D Little you in long plaits and a pretty skirt :D

    Part 2 quick quick!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger rajk said…

    I could really visualise the whole thing! Very well done!

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger GuNs said…

    Hey, good to see you back. I hope to read more posts on your blog soon.

    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger rajk said…

    ok...I think it's high time we got the 2nd part!!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    Shru, rajk, there will be part 2, 3 and 4 and more, but before that there will be other matters. :)

    guns, thanks for the welcome!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger namrata said…

    Hi Anu,

    Even though I know you personally, Its sometimes nicer to know someone through their minds.It was very well written,I could visualise a small girl in you and your childhood impressions.General stories from everyday walk of life what we all go through , when put into words , can get that faint smile onto our faces!!Keep writing (Exercising..:)..or should i Say exercising with words, Thoughts and feelings till you SHAPE up your stories!!:)..We await them!!

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    Ah Namrata.. A pleasure meeting you in cyberspace!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger rajeev said…

    hmm. So maybe 'tables' is the way to get my son interested in some music /gardening :)

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    rajeev, There is an inherent risk there you know! Do try but please dont tell him you got the idea from me!:))

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger qishaya said…

    one day i went shopping outside,and in an ed hardy store,I found some kinds of ed hardy i love most they are Your website is really good Thank you for the information ed hardy ed hardy ed hardy clothing ed hardy clothing ed hardy shoes ed hardy shoes don ed hardy don ed hardy ed hardy clothes ed hardy clothes ed hardy bags ed hardy bags ed hardy swimwear ed hardy swimwear ed hardy jeans ed hardy jeans ed hardy mens ed hardy mens Thank you for the information

     

Post a Comment

<< Home