walk a-musing

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A tag: Favourite characters from fiction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Shru, here it is, my list of favourite characters from fiction.

Mahabharata is my favourite epic story, and Karna is one of my most favourite and memorable characters of all time. Many books have been written about him and his character analysed. He was one of the most loyal and capable men but the most wronged - by his mother, teacher, and the Gods themselves. I cannot even now read about him without this insatiable urge to set things right for him.

Madame Wu from "Pavilion of women" by Pearl Buck. I was under her spell a long time. Intelligent, beautiful, graceful, extremely efficient and dutiful wife and virtual head of a complex chinese household in the first half of the 20th century who decides to (but is unable to) retire from family life at the ripe old age of 40(!) in order to pursue her intellectual interests.

Atticus Finch is one of my all time favourites and he is on your list and many others' as well so I won't write anything about him.

Elizabeth Bennet (and not Mr.Darcy!) Intelligent, loving, witty, beautiful and from my point of view, just the right sense of how much to care about what others think of what you say and do.

I don't know if you can include "Modesty Blaise" under literature. So what if you cant. Let me include her. Her adventures serialised in 3" * 6" comic strips in the daily newspaper was my favourite when I was growing up and the first thing I read in the paper before moving to the headlines after a brief stopver with "Phantom - the ghost who walks". Created by Peter O'Donnell, she is a great character with unusual fighting techniques and weapons and a sidekick called Willie Garvin. Their companionship, mutual understanding and perfect rapport during a fight was the stuff of dreams.

There maybe many others I will remember if I spend more time on this, and many other characters from favourite books are (un:))fortunately not fictional

There. I have done it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger rajk said…

    Welcome back. I wish I could hug Shruthi right now for resurrecting you!!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Anu said…

    I will do the hugging for you! I am off to India in 3 weeks :)

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger rajk said…

    Hey, That's great!! Have fun!!..Guess you'll meet our friend from here...And BTW, pls. forward V's blog address to me.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Inder said…

    atticus finch..
    batman.
    ashwathama

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey! how come I just realized you are back? I missed ye! blog soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home