walk a-musing

Monday, November 17, 2008

Last Leaf On The Tree

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autumn is in. Has been for some time now. I am trying desperately to keep away the leaves from the huge oak tree in one of the neighbour's garden from invading my house. Every time I open the front door a few leaves step in uninvited. I have also been watching the leaves fall from the tree in my back garden. Yesterday morning when I was having my breakfast in the kitchen and watched the tree, I saw there were only three leaves and then soon there were just two and then finally, one. I rushed my son to photograph the tree.

Because it reminded me of something I had read a very long time ago.


I have a feeling a couple of others will know what it is, and they will write here and if they don't I will. Does it remind anyone else of anything?

8 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Shruthi said…

    Of course! The Last Leaf! O Henry! Do I even need to mention it? :D

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger rajk said…

    I was totally blank about this. But Shruthi's comment rang a bell. Was "The Last Leaf" that story wherein a sick woman draws strength from the last leaf, thinking that when the leaf falls off, she will die. So she hangs on to life and later realizes that that wasn't a real leaf but a painted one that was there because someone wanted her to not give up on life. Is that the same story? I know I've told it absolutely badly but....

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger rajeev said…

    Glad to see a post here ! How come that story stays with all of us - whats so special with a last leaf... to see one in reality takes one back to those pages. maybe its a combined message of mortality but renewal, so essentially hope.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Chitra said…

    Wow! The second snap reminded me of the same story as Rajk! The story was (actually) telecast on DD....and after a whole ...erm...six(?) years, I still remember it :-). I guess it was called 'MiTTi ke rang'.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Anu said…

    Here is a reply to all in one go. From Chitra's comment I guess that DD made an adaptation of O. Henry's story which perhaps Rajk also watched. Yes that is the story! Rajeev has summed up well as to why the story makes such a lasting impression. For me there is also the appeal of a beautiful rational reply to the old man/woman's personal superstition. Thanks everyone, for commenting.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger rajk said…

    Anu, I don't think I've watched this story on TV, because it was the name O Henry, that sparked this memory in me....So I must've read the story...a long long time ago..
    Looking forward to more posts and photos! Maybe something about Snowdonia?

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How can I ever forget!
    It is one of my favourite stories of my student days and continues to be one till today.
    Had read this to chinnu and it is her favourite too.

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger harada57 said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home